Ivana Trump, the first wife of former President Donald Trump, lived an extraordinary life of fame, fortune, and controversy before passing away in July 2022 at age 73. Ivana’s funeral was held in New York City before her burial at a prestigious cemetery in New Jersey. This article provides details on Ivana’s burial site and the history behind this famous location.
Overview of Ivana Trump’s Life
Ivana Zelnickova was born in Czechoslovakia in 1949. She moved to Canada in the 1970s to work as a model before meeting Donald Trump in New York (). The two married in 1977 and had three children together – Donald Jr., Ivanka, and Eric.
Ivana played key roles in running Trump’s business empire in the 1980s. She helped manage hotels and casinos as Vice President of Interior Design for the Trump Organization (). However, the couple divorced in 1992 amidst Donald’s affair with Marla Maples.
Despite the messy divorce, Ivana maintained prominence in New York society for decades. She launched fashion and jewelry lines, wrote several books, and appeared on TV shows. Ivana passed away at her Upper East Side townhouse in Manhattan.
Ivana’s Funeral and Burial
Ivana Trump’s funeral was held on July 20, 2022 at St. Vincent Ferrer Church in Manhattan. It was attended by around 100 guests including all her children and ex-husband Donald Trump ().
Following the church service, Ivana was buried at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey. This exclusive golf course and residence is owned by the Trump Organization. Ivana selected the site prior to her death. A private graveside ceremony was held there on July 20.
History of Trump National Golf Club
Trump National Golf Club is located about an hour west of New York City in the rolling hills of central New Jersey. It is in Somerset County close to the affluent communities of Bedminster and Bernardsville ().
Trump purchased the historic Lamington Farm in 2002 and spent over $250 million transforming it into a luxury golf course (). The club opened in 2004 and quickly became considered one of the best courses in the state.
Trump National covers over 500 acres and includes an 18-hole public course, pools, clubhouses, and other lavish facilities. Trump also built a private residential community for members. He frequently visits and resides there during summers.
Trump Cemetery Plot
Ivana Trump was buried in a private family plot on the grounds of Trump National. Only members of the Trump family can be buried at this exclusive cemetery site. The graves are situated near the club’s main clubhouse ().
Details on the exact location and arrangements of Ivana’s burial plot have not been released publicly. The cemetery is not open to public visitation and is accessible only to members. Headstones in the Trump plot are said to be fairly simple and modest.
Controversies Around Burial Site
Some criticized Donald Trump’s decision to bury his ex-wife on the grounds of his private golf club, arguing it seemed inappropriate (). Trump may also gain tax benefits since it is part of his business assets rather than a regular cemetery.
However, Trump stated that Ivana loved the club and specifically requested burial there. Local authorities indicated the burial complies with regulations, although some permitting details remain unclear (). The situation reflects the distinct and privileged lifestyle of the Trump family.
Significance of Ivana’s Final Resting Place
While unconventional, Ivana Trump’s burial at Bedminster places her eternally among New Jersey’s elite in the exclusive Trump enclave she cherished. Her gravesite symbolizes Ivana’s opulent lifestyle alongside Donald Trump and their prominence as celebrities, business figures, and political firebrands. In death as in life, Ivana Trump’s burial site is both noteworthy and controversial.
- New York Times. “Overlooked No More: Ivana Trump, a Child of Communist Europe and Wife to a Future President.” https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/14/obituaries/ivana-trump-overlooked.html
- Town & Country Magazine. “A Complete History of Ivana Trump’s Life in the Spotlight.” https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/money-and-power/a40346160/ivana-trump-history-and-facts/
- ABC News. “Ivana Trump laid to rest at Bedminster next to golf course.” https://abcnews.go.com/US/ivana-trump-laid-rest-bedminster-golf-course/story?id=87116910
- NJ.com. “Trump National Golf Club Bedminster: Who’s buried there?” https://www.nj.com/somerset/2022/07/trump-national-golf-club-bedminster-whos-buried-there.html
- Bloomberg. “At $26 Million a Hole, Trump’s Golf Misadventure.” https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-09-10/at-26-million-a-hole-trump-s-golf-misadventure
- Forbes. “Here’s Where Ivana Trump Will Be Buried.” https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisakim/2022/07/15/heres-where-ivana-trump-will-be-buried/
- Washington Post. “Gravesite at Trump golf course is perfect monument to Ivana Trump’s gilded legacy.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/07/25/ivana-trump-burial-trump-national-golf-course/
- NorthJersey.com. “Trump golf course cemetery raises questions about permits.” https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2022/07/25/trump-golf-course-cemetery-bedminster-nj-raise-questions/65373626007/
Hi y’all, I’m Caroline Webster, your proud Texan source for everything related to our 45th president, Donald Trump, and the GOP.
Along with my husband, Bill, I run Trump Scoop, born out of our ranch in the Lone Star State, offering insightful and unbiased commentary on conservative politics.
With a degree in Political Science and years immersed in local politics, my aim is to keep our readers informed and connected.
For me, it’s not just about delivering news—it’s about standing up for our values and the spirit of American patriotism.