Donald Trump, the 45th president of the United States, is known to own several lavish properties around the world. One of his most famous residences is Mar-a-Lago, located in Palm Beach, Florida. Mar-a-Lago serves as Trump’s primary home and private club. However, Trump also owns other real estate in Florida. This article will provide an overview of Trump’s different homes and properties across the state of Florida.
History and Description
Mar-a-Lago is a 20-acre estate and national historic landmark in Palm Beach, Florida (). The property was originally built as a residence for Marjorie Merriweather Post in the 1920s. Post willed the estate to the U.S. government in 1973, hoping it could be used as a winter White House. However, the government returned it to the Post Foundation due to the high maintenance costs. Donald Trump purchased Mar-a-Lago for $10 million in 1985 and turned it into a private club with guest rooms, a spa, and other luxury amenities ().
Mar-a-Lago is a Mediterranean-style mansion with 58 bedrooms, 33 bathrooms, a 20,000 square foot ballroom, and a 5,000 square foot living room. The grounds contain a putting green, tennis courts, croquet lawns, and stunning ocean views. Trump maintains private quarters at Mar-a-Lago and frequently spends weekends and holidays there ().
Membership and Controversies
Mar-a-Lago has a highly selective and expensive membership fee, reportedly around $200,000 initiation and $14,000 in annual dues (). Trump often mingles with members and guests, using the club for meetings and diplomacy with foreign dignitaries.
However, questions have been raised about the ethics and security implications of Trump’s continued ownership of Mar-a-Lago as president. Critics argue it represents a conflict of interest and allows members to potentially influence policy decisions (). There have also been security breaches by unscreened visitors at the club.
Trump National Doral Golf Club
Trump National Doral Golf Club is a luxury golf resort owned by The Trump Organization. It is located in Doral, Florida, just west of Downtown Miami. Trump purchased the resort for $150 million in 2012 and invested over $250 million into renovations (). The Doral resort features five golf courses, 700 hotel rooms, restaurants, retail shops, and banquet and conference spaces.
One of the main courses is the legendary Blue Monster course, known for hosting PGA Tour and World Golf Championship events. Trump continues to frequently visit and play golf at the Doral resort. He has also considered hosting the G7 Summit there, attracting more controversy around conducting official business at his properties ().
Trump International Beach Resort Miami
Trump International Beach Resort Miami is a high-rise condominium and hotel located in Sunny Isles Beach, north of Miami. Trump partnered with developer Dezer Properties to license his name and brand to the residential project ().
The Trump International Beach Resort, completed in 2016, has 391 condo units ranging from 1,000 to 10,000 square feet. It also contains expansive amenities like pools, restaurants, shops, a fitness center, and beachside services. Units in the building sell for several million dollars as prime oceanfront real estate.
Trump Grande Ocean Resort and Residences
Trump Grande Ocean Resort and Residences is located in Sunny Isles Beach, just south of the Trump International Beach Resort. This residential development was also built in partnership with Dezer Properties ().
The Trump Grande complex consists of three condominium towers containing over 500 units in total. One of the towers is a 55-story high-rise. Amenities include a lagoon pool, fitness center, spa, cafes, and private cabanas. Trump Grande buyers pay millions for luxury residences and hotel-style services.
Trump Hollywood Condominium
Trump Hollywood is a 41-story condominium tower located in Hollywood, Florida, north of Miami. It was developed by Jorge Perez and The Related Group, who partnered with Trump in 2009 to brand the project ().
The Trump Hollywood building has 200 condo units ranging from 1,000 to 6,500 square feet. There are high-end interior finishes and amenities like a spa, wine cellar, cigar room, and rooftop pool deck. Units in Trump Hollywood sell for $2 million to over $10 million.
Private Palm Beach Estate
In addition to Mar-a-Lago, Trump owns a private beachfront home in Palm Beach that he purchased for $41.35 million in 2004 (). This mansion has over 10 bedrooms and frequently houses Trump’s family members.
Located a few blocks north of Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s estate has access to a members-only oceanfront club. Trump uses this Palm Beach residence when Mar-a-Lago is closed for the summer months.
Future Florida Projects
The Trump Organization has also looked into other potential projects in Florida in locations like Tampa (). Additional branded condos, hotels, or other luxury facilities with the Trump name may continue opening in Florida cities where the Trump brand attracts buyers. Trump has long had a presence across Florida both for business and leisure.
Donald Trump has made Florida into his second home state behind New York. His properties like Mar-a-Lago and the Doral golf resort serve both as opulent amenities for his paying guests as well as personal residences and clubs. However, concerns have been raised about Trump and his family appearing to monetize the presidency through these properties. Trump’s affluent lifestyle in Florida remains controversial yet representative of his lifelong pursuit of fame, fortune, and power.
- National Parks Service. “Mar-a-Lago National Historic Landmark.” https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/presidents/mar-a-lago_trump.html
- Washington Post. “Everything you want to know about Mar-a-Lago.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/everything-you-want-to-know-about-mar-a-lago/2018/03/28/b122fb70-322e-11e8-b6bd-0084a1666987_story.html
- Los Angeles Times. “At Mar-a-Lago, Trump soaks in the adulation that still eludes him in Washington.” https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-mar-a-lago-20190118-story.html
- CNBC. “Here’s what we know about how much it costs to be a member at Mar-a-Lago.” https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/31/trumps-mar-a-lago-club-in-florida-see-who-joined-and-what-it-costs.html
- NPR. “Trump’s Mar-A-Lago Club Has More Violations Than Any Of The Top 10 Hotels In America.” https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/08/563116311/trumps-mar-a-lago-club-has-more-violations-than-any-of-the-top-10-hotels-in-amer
- Golf Digest. “Donald Trump’s refurbishment of Doral’s Blue Monster course is underway.” https://www.golfdigest.com/story/donald-trumps-overhaul-of-doral-blue-monster
- New York Times. “Trump Suggests His Miami Resort as Site of Next G7 Meeting.” https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/26/us/politics/trump-doral-g7.html
- Miami Herald. “Donald Trump is in a partnership on this Miami beachfront condo tower.” https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article135187364.html
- Haute Residence. “Trump Grande Ocean Resort Residences.” https://www.hauteresidence.com/trump-grande-ocean-resort-residences/
- The Real Deal. “The highs and lows of the Trump condo in Hollywood.” https://therealdeal.com/miami/2016/10/27/the-highs-and-lows-of-the-trump-condo-in-hollywood/
- Business Insider. “Take a look at Trump’s $41.4 million mansion in Florida where he’ll stay for Thanksgiving.” https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-thanksgiving-mar-a-lago-palm-beach-florida-photos-history-2020-11
- Tampa Bay Times. “Hillsborough commissioner weighs pros, cons of Trump property proposal.” https://www.tampabay.com/news/hillsborough/2020/03/11/hillsborough-commissioner-weighs-pros-cons-of-trump-property-proposal/
Hi y’all, I’m Caroline Webster, your proud Texan source for everything related to our 45th president, Donald Trump, and the GOP.
Along with my husband, Bill, I run Trump Scoop, born out of our ranch in the Lone Star State, offering insightful and unbiased commentary on conservative politics.
With a degree in Political Science and years immersed in local politics, my aim is to keep our readers informed and connected.
For me, it’s not just about delivering news—it’s about standing up for our values and the spirit of American patriotism.